Tuesday, January 10, 2012

YA Literature

Once a month in late afternoon, Jean (a good friend and the social studies teacher with whom I taught for many years) and I go to a class in Young Adult Literature with Sherry Guice a local reading professor/middle school teacher and all around great guide through current books designed for young adults.  Jean and I have taken this class since it started until I retired when I decided I needed a break (Jean continued with the class).  Now I'm back at it, and it's as wonderful now as it always was.

Our genre for this month's discussion is fantasy, and it's my favorite.  Unfortunately because the reading was done during December, I finished only eight books out of fifteen possible titles.  We don't have to read them all; Sherry has told people to read at least two.  Even though I used to read all the books on the list, now I choose what I wish to read.  After all, I am no longer reading for the wide range of interests I would find among my students so now I read for myself.  In fantasy that means I no longer feel compelled to read the vampire/werewolf books which were never favorites of mine.

For those of you with children from third to twelfth grades, here are some the class liked: 
  1. The ever popular (especially with the boys) Rick Riordan has a new series featuring Egyptian mythology, and we read the second book Throne of Fire (fourth grade and up).  Even though my knowledge of Egyptian deities is basic at best, I really enjoyed this action-on-every-page book.  The fact that I didn't know all the gods and goddesses didn't matter.  I learned painlessly. 
  2. Wonderstruck by artist/author Brian Selznick (Caldecott winner for Hugo Cabret) received kudos from those who read it (I didn't).  It's on the 7th grade and up list, but like most of the books it could be read by a good 5th or 6th grader.  Don't be put off by its apparent length; half of the book consists of Selznick's illustrations, but it isn't truly a graphic novel. 
  3. All of us loved Hold Me Closer Necromancer by Lish McBride enough to hope for a series.  The male protagonist doesn't know he's a necromancer which causes problems for him.  It's really funny, too (luckily, necromancers weren't on my "don't read" list).  It's recommended for the 8th grade and up due to one sex scene. 
  4. Beauty Queens by Linda Bray (author of Going Bovine and Rebel Beauty) is a laugh out loud delight that would be great to use for discussion group in high school.  There are serious issues covered in this book which is geared to a female audience, but I wish boys would read it, too. 
Obviously there were other books, but they received mixed reviews from the group.  For example, Jean and I liked Chime by Franny Billingsley which is  a possible winner for this year's National Book Award (I think that's the one).  It reminded me of Thomas Hardy's work in a way though the subject matter is different.  I would recommend it for a serious young reader, but I'd caution you to check it out and see if the subject would be of interest.  Actually, I'd recommend you do that with any of these books! 

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier is getting a big play this year, and since its about time travel, I was prepared to fall in love with it.  I didn't, and it wasn't because it's a translation from the German (which is well done, by the way).  Indeed, the book made me angry because while it had promise, it seemed to be just an introduction for the next book in the series.  Nothing really happens in Ruby Red.  Compared to books by someone like Rick Riordan who has written several series in which every book is full of action and has a complete plot, this one just doesn't.  I wonder if that was a publishing decision?  It's not the first time we've read something so lacking like this one, either.  It's not fair to the reader (especially a young one!) who expects a finished plot.  Cliff hangers are one thing; this is different.

Anyway, I had a great time discussing books with other readers, both male and female.  Some teach English, there's a social studies teacher (in addition to Jean), and several special education and reading teachers, too.  There are also at least three librarians, one former teacher who is now raising her children, and the two of us who are retired.  It makes for a well rounded group with different points of view and differing concerns so I always learn a lot. 

Next month is historical fiction, and Sherry apologized for not being able to find many "boy active" (read "boy as main character") books that were interesting.  I'm going to shy away from war books (unless they're really, really good); we've read so many, many, many, many . . .

Next month, I'll let you know the ones from this genre that stand out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment