Monday, July 23, 2012

Quilt Camp

Yesterday Quilt Camp ended and many of us returned home as happy campers.  Last time I went I was hit by karma's Big Ugly Stick and nothing I did turned out as it should.  This time it was a different story.  As far as I could tell, no one had a difficult time.  There are no photos to show you as I neglected to ask permission (brain cells still falling out of my ears), but trust me, there were some gorgeous quilts being made and finished.  It is amazing to me how some people are able to accomplish so much!  One woman completed at least four quilts during the three days we were there!  Even some of the things she brought to work on were already started and well on their way to completion, that is still a remarkable feat.

ME created an absolutely darling Jo Morton "little" (I would have said "tiny" judging by the size of the blocks) from start to finish and almost completely from her stash.  I will ask her if I may publish that photo here tomorrow so you can see what a great job she did.  I'm not usually drawn to the small things, but I may have to try a version of this. 

Another woman made a queen sized log cabin in turquoise and magenta that is an absolute stunner!  The idea of those colors may make you wince, but if  you saw them together using batiks and many different values of those colors, WOW!.  The setting she chose was asymmetrical which combined with the striking colors and fabrics resulted in a more contemporary feel.

Another lady made a nine-patch king sized quilt of hundreds of tiny (half inch, I think) squares.  Her colors were brown and white.  While it could have been dull (though her workmanship would take your breath away), she used different fabrics for both colors.  As a result, the quilt knocks your socks off!

I could go on and on describing the quilts people made, and I may share more stories of them tomorrow, but I'll end by saying I worked on a very bright gift quilt for a great nephew that I'll show you soon.

Happy day to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment