Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Fairy Quilt #1 Progress

This isn't going to be very exciting, but I am thrilled to tell you that considerable progress has been made on the first of two fairy quilts for my great-nieces.  My final choice of pattern was an older one of Atkinson's patterns called "Slide Show". 

 After cutting out the main 8-inch "screens" from the collected fairy fabrics, the white tone-on-tone (aka white design on white fabric) background, and the border fabric on Monday, I washed, ironed and cut the fabrics for the 2-inch "slides" that will surround the "screens" yesterday.  Those fabrics were washed before using because they are primarily batiks, and those can run.  Quilts for children will be washed over and over again, so I try to avoid the purple/red/pink slurry that might occur later by washing now.

Today I was able to start on the assembly of the slide pieces and actually managed to finish all of them.  That means that tomorrow, I will be able to begin construction of the whole quilt.  It will take longer than I think because it always does.  And I will have to lay it out and arrange and re-arrange and re-re-arrange the pieces before I am satisfied.  To say nothing of last minute second-guessing-while-sewing!

If I can keep this momentum going, I will be thrilled.  And surprised.  You see, I think using a pattern the first time is exciting.  It's the thrill of discovery; what will this look like in the fabrics I've chosen?  and each step of the sewing is a "reveal".  Well, I've seen this pattern made with a gorgeous selection of batiks, and I've seen the photo on the pattern itself.  Now I'm creating a new look (in my experience of the pattern) with the fairy fabrics.  That's fun.

However, the second quilt is also being made from fairy fabrics.  Different colors for the "screen" and "slides" but basically the same idea.  Will tedium set in?  I hope not, but if it does, I will just have to work through it beacuse I have quite a list of projects to complete before . . . well, before long. 

And as usual, you know exactly what I mean!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You've been very busy and motivated! I do hope this keeps up. And could you send that committment to finishing over to me - only it's a bear of a transcript that I'm working on. Back to the salt mines soon! Can hardly wait to see a photo of the fairy quilts!

    ReplyDelete