Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Long Absence Nearly Over

Looking quickly at my last blog, I noticed the date was August 24th, and now it is September 9th.  A lot has happened in that time, but I expect to be back to more or less regular entries for a while.  Here is a brief update on what has happened since I wrote last (the dates may not be precise - notches of time slip in my memory)
 
August 24: David's dad is taken to the hospital. The home he lived in for 60 (plus or minus a few) is shown by the realtor for the first time.

August 25:  Having made sure his father is resting comfortably in the hospital, David and I take off for Vermont and vacation.
 
August 27: David drives back home to check on his dad.  Once there he learns there are several interested parties and one firm bid on his childhood home. 
 
August 29: D returns to VT.  Dad has been diagnosed with several issues and is terminal. He does not want any treatment other than pain relief so he will be transported to a care facility.
 
August 30: Early morning phone call alerts us that D's dad is not well so he drives back.
 
August 31: My brother and his wife kindly transport me home instead of driving straight on to their home in NJ.  Once we have phone reception, I call D to let him know we're on our way and to find out what the plans are.  He says his father seems to be not "well" but stable so D will drive to our home to meet me and take me back with him if needed.  Our daughter calls (she's at the care facility having driven in from her home).  All is not well.  D calls.  He's received notice that dad is failing.  Daughter calls.  Dad has died.  She was holding his hand and talking to him even though he was in a non-responsive state.  Being there and being able to do that for him and for her father was a gift to her as well as for the rest of us.  D's younger sister arrives (the older sister comes from Florida and arrives later that weekend).
 
September 3:  Work begins on the home so it can be used for the gathering of family and friends after the funeral.
 
September 5:  Dad's memorial service and interment.  Both were as he wished, were moving, meaningful, and well done.
 
September 6 - 8: Work continues on the home to clear it out for the closing which will occur in 6 - 10 weeks depending on the banks involved.  Both sisters leave Saturday.  I take Saturday off.
 
September 9:  Both David and I take the day off. 
 
This explains what has been going on in our lives, and I know you have all experienced similar events in your lives so you understand.  David has moments of laughter and fond memories and bad moments as well.  It will take time.
 
The support of our family and friends has been wonderful and words leave me when I try to explain how deeply we have been moved by the kindness and love we've been shown these last few weeks. 
 
Thank you.




No comments:

Post a Comment