Sunday, October 21, 2012

Search for Beauty

My challenge to myself today was to find beauty in my garden even though there is nothing in bloom and the trees are almost leaf-less.  The first thing I saw when I went out back was the weeping crabapple that is almost completely bald.  Unfortuantely, the photo I took in which that tree is the star does not make a very convincing argument.  So I took another try and used the branches of the American beech to frame it and add that dash of color.  Now I think it works.

 
 
"Birdhouse with Antenna" is what I think I will name this next photograph.  Imagine the bird who lives in that house complaining that even with the biggest antenna money can buy, he still can't get the Antarctican Emperors vs Ice-Cold Seals games!  This is an example of, "Oops, I didn't notice that!" picture-taking.  But it's worth it for the laugh.

 
Finally, there is pretty picture of my neighbor's tori gate with his fading mums below the gate and the almost-gone burning bush in the background.   Even the hanging pot with its skeletal stems and the exhausted "bird" on the gate add a few touches of whimsy. 
 
 
Now are these lovely pictures that I'm going to run upstairs and turn into paintings?  No.  But are these photographs that make me see there is still loveliness around me?  Yes!
 
So the next time you hear me bemoan the coming of November and its gray and brown palette, smack me on the head, and remind me to look for beauty because its everywhere.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, beauty is everywhere. And you've forgotten, you do have white flowers out in the front on the side of the driveway and they are quite lovely - and persistent to be around this time of year. They must be very happy flowers!

    ReplyDelete