Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Circles Technique Class

Today ME and I took a class in circles.  Sound strange, doesn't it?  This class was billed as a techniques class designed to help us with circles.  That means that we started with how to use a particular ruler to cut a perfect circle using only the ruler, a rotary cuter, and fabric folded in quarters.  Once we mastered that, we moved on to how to cut the background fabric for that circle using the same three items only using a different fabric. 
 
Next came how to fold both circle and background fabrics to created 8 register marks.  Those marks would guide us in pin placement using only 8 pins.  Then we after being given a few more tips, we sewed our first circle.  Then another, and then another, and then . . .
 
We learned how to create intersecting lines and what the width of the intersection would do to the circle unless we took the necessary steps.  Here is the block ME made.  I wish the colors were more accurate (the upper circle with the little flowers is a deep, rich plum), but at least you can admire how she applied her knowledge and was able to sew the circles into her background fabric.
One of the samples Marlous brought with her (and she brought many) is the one below.  It is a sample that uses the Drunkards Path block (a quarter circle that can be made using the technique we learned today).  Both ME and I took a circle class when these patterns enjoyed a resurgence of popularity.  But as you all know, if you don't practice a method, you forget how its done.  What we learned today is different, and I think better.  We also learned many different ways to apply what we learned.
 
 
I can hardly wait to use some of the ideas with these new techniques!
 
 


2 comments:

  1. I think you should also include yours - but then you're adding more and it's going to be fabulous. I learned what I needed in order to make a quilt out of a painting Lexy did while in Sage College art classes. Now I'll be able to do it (as soon as the proper circle thingie comes in - and wedding quilts are done) I loved this class and really enjoyed it a heck of a lot more than I thought I would.

    And I got a wall hanging out of it, too!! Thanks for a fun day of no work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to see some of Mary Ellen's work as she shares so many of your classes in quilting. I love the fabrics and use of intersecting lines with the circles.

    ReplyDelete