Thursday, August 1, 2013

Thanks to Robena of Trumpet Hill!

Is there a knitter in this area who hasn't been to Trumpet Hill yet?  I certainly hope not.  Let me tell you why.

When we were in Vermont on Vacation, as I mentioned before I happen to purchase a skein of "hand painted" yarn.  Only one skein because that was all that was available in that particular colorway.  I fell in love first with the color, and then I touched it.  Oh my, such a silky soft hand!  It certainly didn't feel anything like the mohair yarns that were so popular when I was in high school (and if any of you remember them, you'll know what I mean).  Scratchy?  You better believe it.  But it was the "in" thing so we wore those dreadful sweaters, anyway.  

Well, today I decided I would go to Trumpet Hill and enlist their help.  First, the skein is only 250 yards, and I had no idea what I could make with that.  A washcloth?  A coat?  Maybe something in between?  Second, since the yarn was only 2-ply, I figured I'd have to buy another skein to use with it.  But what kind of yarn?What weight?  

What I did know was that Robena DeMatteo (shop owner extraordinaire) would be able to help me.  If she wasn't there, I knew I could turn to Celeste (designer par examplar) or maybe Ruth (teacher of all things - including tatting!).  Anyway, the point is someone there could help me.  As luck would have it, when I walked in I saw Celeste who was in the midst of teaching but still had time for a warm smile and hello. Robena was there, too, and immediately left her office to come out and greet me with a hug and kiss of welcome.

I showed my yarn and explained my predicaments.  Did Robena sneer at the yarn purchased elsewhere? No.  Did she roll her eyes at my naivete (it would make only a hat, not a hat and scarf)?  Absolutely not. Did she have suggestions?  You bet!  Did she try to sell me a book of patterns?  Not at all.  She suggested a free pattern from Ravelry (for which I chose different yarn).  Then she suggested that my yarn was too pretty to use for a hat and maybe I should make a neck piece.  Inspired suggestion!  I asked for more ideas and she said maybe a Moebius scarf would be good, but she then (after checked to be sure she wouldn't be interrupting at a crucial point) she asked Celeste what she thought.  Wow, shop owner openly asks opinion of employee!    Once that was decided upon, Robena asked if I'd ever made one, and when I said I hadn't she gently suggested a class as they can be tricky.  Hey, knitting is not my primary or even secondary talent, not even tertiary, but she never made me feel like the no-nothing-knitter I am.

Basically, I'm saying that no matter what your level of knitting expertise, you will find the warmest welcome and most helpful people at Trumpet Hill.  Look them up on line or on Facebook.  And if the above doesn't convince you, check this out:


Nestled in my skein of Painted Mohair is the coordinating yarn I chose today at Trumpet Hill, and as soon as another Moebius scarf class is offered, I'll be in it.  

Can you imagine how luscious the result will be?



3 comments:

  1. I might have to join you on the scarf class. But then, I'll need some yarn - what's a girl to do? Funny - but with all this wedding sewing going on, I just want to knit something! I think my timing is a bit off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm drooling over your yarns (and I don't even knit!) So pretty....and the scarf will be amazing i'm sure. I miss stopping in to say Hi to R...guess I should make that a priority one day soon. With fall coming up way too quickly, being surrounded by lush textiles and warm colors seems like a nice way to spend some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see the finished scarf. Love the choice of your coordinating yarn. I thought something dark would be needed, but hadn't thought of that shade of blue. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete