Monday, July 8, 2013

My Theory about Stuff

First of all, last night we lost power for a few hours.  It was right at the critical point in a TV show that was on (fortunately, I wasn't paying any attention anyway) and lasted through the time I would have been writing last night's entry.  Too bad.  You missed another D.C. entry.  But you're probably as tired of that subject as I find myself today.
 
Today I want to discuss my new theory.  So sit up and pay attention because this is deep.  Literally.  Are you ready?  Here it is:
 
Hot air rises; stuff sinks.
 
How do I know this?  I've been cleaning out our basement.  Have I told you about our asparagus bed? We don't have one because, as I pointed out to D, "There's no point in starting one because we're bound to leave here in three years."  That is when the first asparagus would have been ready for harvesting. Ha! We have lived in this house for over 30 years, and the stuff in our basement is the stuff of legends.   As is the asparagus.
 
Back to the real subject at hand.  We are not hoarders.  But we are definitely middle-class, Baby-Boomer consumers.  And our basement reflects this.  Initially, we would put things downstairs neatly in boxes  for temporary storage or until we found a use for it or until someone thought they might just wear whatever again.  Then we would turn out the lights, close the door, and forget about it.  Having forgotten about it, we would sometimes buy things again.  For example, by the time I sorted through our Christmas ornaments a couple of years ago, we probably had enough glass ornaments for four trees.  To be fair, most of the time that was because one of us thought a new color would be very pretty so out we trooped to buy whatever color tickled us that year.  Now most of that is gone after a frenzy one early December.
 
Actually, to be fair, D and I are both collectors, and for a time, I collected with the thought that in retirement I would sell in a multi-dealer type of shop.  Now that I am retired I am too busy to do that, and even if I weren't I wouldn't want to.  Even in a cooperative shop, I'd have to work too often trying to sell things that people aren't interested in today.  Now I collect fabric and I have no intention of setting up shop (although I could).  Any way, our neat arrangement of boxes got way out of hand, and it isn't neat anymore and not everything is in boxes.  Plastic bags have been used, also. 
 
After spending today in the cellar, sorting, bagging, and tagging, I know my theory of stuff is correct.  Fortunately D and I agree that we are ready to get rid of stuff, to de-clutter, to clear out much of what we've held on to for far too long.  We also know that this is just the first pass.  There will be more forays into the basement. 
 
But for now, we have decided to combat the Theory of Stuff until we have created a neat basement with fewer items laying abandoned and forgotten. We will not allow our stuff to sink to that level of dejection! 
 
Plus, it really isn't a lot of fun, but seeing order where once was chaos is.

5 comments:

  1. Although I don't have 30 years of stuff in my basement (mostly cause we moved here in 2001) I do have useless stuff stored down there. I'm hoping that this fall we can get rid of some of the larger items that my husband has insisted we need to save and haven't used. I've been purging the small stuff and must continue. It does get quite overwhelming! But feels so good when the clutter is gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and I forgot to say -- hardly any fabric will be touched during the purging process. I do have my priorities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your theory seems to hold water and other stuff for the most part, but may be geographically flawed. Homes here for example in Virginia Beach are close to sea level and are usually not built with basements. So, our stuff rises! If you think chaos lurks in your basement, you should see our attic. I'm not sure if there's a real difference between a cellar and a basement, but I think your stuff is in your cellar. Cellars tend to have stuff in them (wine, fruit, barely used exercise equipment, and of course boxes of stuff) whereas basements tend to be empty. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the note on geographical differences, and I will remember that when I visit Virginia and southern states again. I will stare at uppermost floors and think loving thoughts at the attics! Funny about cellars and basements. Even though I used the terms interchangeably, I think of cellars as having dirt floors and basements as being cement. But there you are correct again as to possible contents. Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have reached the moment in this time where I have "enough" stuff. Many beautiful things in a holding pattern as each day encourages me more to lighten up. Journeys made to final destination are bittersweet...as each departure dissolves away my ego. It must be a very big ego, because there still remains much to dissolve.

    I love the museum and the barns. You take me places I will not wander in this life. Thank you my friend for these journeys.

    ReplyDelete