Monday, December 23, 2013

Inherited Treasure

Did I mention that we had had a piece of furniture refinished for us?  In fact it's been in the process of refinishing for some time now.  First we had it stripped; I know, I know, Leigh and Lesley Keno would be appalled, but we're not in it for the money.  We merely want a piece of furniture that isn't terribly scarred.  After stripping we had a new piece of mahogany veneer applied on the base.  And that was a far as we got.  I think we may have thought that some day we'd put on the stain, but that day never came.  Through idle conversation with a friend we got the name of someone who could do the final step for us (good thing, too).

The mahogany library table was in my family, and I remember it as being a permanent fixture in the living room of my grandparents' home.  One of my brothers and I are trying to find out (he through my grandmother's diaries and I through research on the table itself) whether my grandparents purchased the table or whether it came from my great-grandparents.  We may never know, but I am very glad to have it.


This is the way it looks in the natural light coming through the window of the study.  It's a lovey piece, isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! Where is it going to live?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you; we love it in the computer room so D can spread out his paperwork!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave had told me that you had the table refinished. I remember the peeling veneer and the cracked, dark finish. It is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete