Monday, June 16, 2014

Back to England: Wisley Garden (Royal Horticultural Society)

Today I will show photographs with brief explanations of our visit to Wisley Gardens, one of the several maintained by the Royal Horticultural Society.  In short, this is the place to go to see a vast collection of plants tended to be in as close to tip-top condition as humanly possible.


This is the flower of Gunnera manicata, a huge plant with mammoth leaves.  It grows in boggy areas and reaches a height of 6-10' tall, and 10-15' wide - hence its common name, Giant Rhubarb.  But I prefer the second common name I discovered,  'Jurassic Rhubarb'.  Appropriate, don't you think?


A pink tree (Toona sinensis 'Flamingo' aka Chinese mahogany) admired by a lady in a pink jacket.



One of the many water features throughout the gardens.  Again, notice the variety of foliage colors.


A vista - another thing English gardeners do well is providing on with unexpected delights seen through a sudden opening.


Another in a series of Euphorbia taken in the test gardens.  I missed the label on this one but suspect it was one of the Euphorbia aurea varieties.  I haven't thought much about these plants until this trip, but I promise you, I'll be looking for them in the catalogues this year!


A lovely fountain surrounded by beautiful blooms.


Ah, the wildlife . . . bird taking a bath in the rain.


Do you notice that I really like water?


A charming herb garden, the first of its type I saw on this trip.


Acitinidia pilosula, climbing kiwi, which I think is spectacular, but its farthermost north zone is zone 6 which rules us out.  I think it might be one of those plants that uses all the room it can get and then some as it grows.  Maybe it's a good thing I can't grow it here!




I couldn't decide which side of the bridge was the one for today so I'm showing you both.



More wildlife.  This one very familiar swimming among the water lilies.



And this is a closer view of the upper part of the water fall you saw in the third photo.

Tomorrow I'll share some of the bonsai and the wonders found in the glass house at Wisley.


2 comments:

  1. What a truly beautiful place. I think I'd like to go there, sit with a good book or some applique - and just be surrounded by the beauty and soak it all in. The Euphorbia is beautiful. Does it stay green? And now I know for sure that all greens would go great together in a quilt because they sure do look fantastic together in the garden!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your photos of Wisley. You capture the beauty of the individual gardens. As a garden it was my least favorite, probably because in some respects its was a compilation of plant life. Yet I do have to admire the extent and diversity of plant life and the care taken its presentation.

    ReplyDelete