Yes, the title of this entry is intended as a play on words.
Since I am still working on making hay from a sow's ear (hay = finished work and sow's ear = discoveries in my stash), you shouldn't be surprised to discover that today I found some crewel work I did - oh, some 40+ years ago.
The design was intended as a decorative pillow cover, but I never wanted to do that thinking the embroidery wouldn't last long if used that way. So the piece just languished in various drawers and bins. Today I thought, "Bingo, make this into a wall hanging!" So I started pulling out fabrics I thought would work with the yarn colors.
Here's what I found, and take special note of the striped fabric at the left because that was a real find.
I also had a trouble finding the right white - one that would at least coordinate with the odd white on which the crewel was stitched. I had almost given up and was beginning to look for a color rather than a white, when my eye fell on a ridged white home decorator fabric recently released from a bin.
And here is what I did with the two today.
Of course, it would help if I knew exactly what block design to add as the border.