Monday, April 16, 2012

If It's Monday . . .

Monday Evening

Somehow in my head Monday seems to be laundry day, and don't ask me where that came from.  I don't think I've ever used Monday as my standard day to do the wash (for me it was always Sunday).  Now that I'm retired, I could wash on Monday, but I rarely do.  However, this weekend we were busy both days so doing the laundry today became the plan.

Or it was until D reminded me that the plumber was coming to work on the well this morning.  That threw me into a blue haze.  Now not only couldn't I use the washer (almost on top of the well and therefore the plumber and helper/intern, too), but I also couldn't continue with the massive rearrangement of "my" half of the basement.  Which in turn meant that on Tuesday I couldn't do the dining room clean up I had planned.  And as in the standard domino effect that meant that Wednesday I wouldn't be able to sew in the dining room.  I was not a happy person.

Do you believe all that?  That was my I-haven't-had-my-breakfast-brain at work (or not at work more likely).  My after-breakfast-brain said, "Self, be sensible and tackle the dining room today."  And that's what I did.  Is it all finished to my satisfaction?  No, but I'll be able to work in there Wednesday if I want to.  Or Thursday.  Or Friday.  Or . . . whenever.

I've been missing my sewing, and tidying the basement has reminded me of the lovely fabrics I have in my stash and the plans I have for it.  Time to get to those plans.  Over the weekend I made the decision that I was going to spend no more than three days per week on house and garden unless there was a special reason not to.  To me a special reason is that it's the end of May and time to plant for the summer or it's whenever and company is coming.  Anyway, that decision is why I was upset this a.m. until I fed my brain and realized that I need to be flexible.

Let's see if I can make this work.  Any bets????

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes you have to trick your brain to reverse the "can't do" into "why not?". On Friday Dina called to finalize weekend plans for Dave and I to go to East Hampton for our belated Easter celebration. I asked, "What can I bring?', and Dina responded that the question was asked too late. Tim had told her to ask me for Italian salad if I wanted to bring something, but she could not bear telling me at such a late hour of Tim's wish. I was on the way to meet with our Friday art group. I would have to shop, boil the potatoes, cube all the ingredients, fold the three loads of wash sitting on my sofa, pack things for the weekend, etc. No way, I thought. After meeting with the art group, I stopped for a cup of coffee and muffin and decided I could do it, if I put my mind to it. All my brain needed was a little caffeine and sugar and a changed attitude I was so glad I reversed course.

    ReplyDelete