Monday, April 2, 2012

Thank You, Karen!

Sometimes life plays lovely games with us.  Last night on my way upstairs, I thought that I would write about what my friend Karen has done for me.  So I'm going to start this entry with what I intended to write, and then explain the lovely game so I can tell you what else she did for me most unexpectedly.

Last week I wrote an entry in which I almost-whined about not having had the time to sew.  Then I came-even-closer-to-whining when I talked about the reasons I hadn't sewed in a while.  One of those reasons was writing the pattern for Miss Ruby and that it was far more difficult than anticipated.  Another reason was the hand-sewing of samples for classes, and still another reason was that I had taken on more than I should - which at least I did acknowledge.  Anyway, Karen read that blog and quite rightly scolded me.  Hadn't I learned anything, she asked me knowing that clearly I hadn't.  Didn't I remember how close she had come to losing her love of quilting, something that had been precious to her, because she spent too much time doing quilt samples she didn't really want to do.  Oh, there were a host of other reasons she and others like her (and like those of you who read this)  nearly lost her pleasure in doing all the wonderful things she does (she has such a deft touch in decorating her house, she comes up with creative ideas for her much loved grandson, her mini-books are treasures . . . and so much more).  She reminded me that I can't let that happen to me.  Because of that reminder from Karen, I spent Saturday sewing with friends and almost all day Sunday working on my crazy quilt block.  Thank you, Karen, you pulled me back from the edge of a yawning black pit!

That was what I planned to write about - how friends can save you from your worst enemy - yourself.  Then I opened my e-mail before I got down to entry writing, and what did I find?  Not only did Karen tell me to wake up and smell the roses in that e-mail I told you about above, but she then also made sure I would have do what I love by gifting me with on-line classes in  painting on fabric for use in quilts.  Now how perfect is that; my two passions rolled into one glorious gift from a dear friend.  At a time when she needs more from her friends, she still reaches out to others when she sees a need. 

Karen, you are truly a lovely lady in all respects.  Thank you for giving me the best gift of all, your friendship!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Noel,
    What a beautiful thank you to Karen. Every word you wrote spoke of just how special these friendships are to all of us. Thank you for yours too. Love you all, missed you on Saturday. Little lives command me right now. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete