Thursday, July 28, 2011

Best Friends and Lucky Charms

   Late last night I was grumbling about the fact that my fabric was too porous to permit me to draw on it as I wished to.  No matter what I tried, I was dissatisfied with the results.  Everything seemed to spread out into the fabric and none of my lines were clear.  The images were blobby masses of color.  Since I couldn't change my fabric choice, I was reluctantly trying to resign myself to tossing out yet another "great" idea when my husband reminded me that Mary Ellen had called and was I going to call her back.

Bingo!  Lights flashing, bells ringing, and Sirens singing.

The mere mention of my best friend's name reminded me a few scraps of fabric she had given a year or more ago.  They were to be used in a North Pole Christmas wall-hanging.  Down to the basement I dashed, rooted around, and triumphantly came upstairs waving three small square of fabric.  The design on the fabrics were precisely what I had been trying to recreate with my pens and paints to no avail. 

That's not the first time Mary Ellen has provided me with a critical piece of a quilt.  Her donations have become my lucky charms.  The green ribbon that was King Crow's collar and reins in "Jack's Wild Ride"?  It came from Mary Ellen (I had nothing in that color that was narrow enough).  The yellow embroidery thread for the French knots and the Turkey work on the arrowhead flowers in "Miss Ruby Take a Walk"?  You've got it.  Mary Ellen again.  This time she is unwittingly providing me with some essential fabric swatches, and I never did call her back (it was too late when I finally emerged from the basement).

Now, that's a best friend and some lucky charms!  Hope she'll still lend me some perle cotton for this project.

1 comment:

  1. she better,lol!! If not let me know- might have just the right color in my stash, 'cause we all know any of us would hate to go shopping!!
    keep at it my friend. I just know your design will be glorious and can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete