Monday, July 25, 2011

Keeping Things Simple

Yesterday I decided to take a day off and didn't add anything to my blog.  But I have continued to spend a good portion of every day working on my contest quilt top.  Today I should be able to finish one of the major sections and then start working on some of the very small elements.  One of the things I already knew about myself as a designer has become more evident as this contest goes on.  I tend to get carried away and over-design.  By that I mean that I include far too much detail.  The designers I admire have at least three attributes in common:  terrific use of color, simplicity of design, and an understanding of graphic design.  Look at the work of Janet Fogg and Jane Sassaman, and you'll see what I mean.  Of these three elements, color is my strongest, simplicity my weakest, and graphic design my middle ground.

In my response to this current Challenge, with each version I have drawn I have had to tell myself over and over to simplify, that for me the "devil is in the details".  Keeping the fact that I am supposed to be designing for others, not just for myself, I try to imagine what problems another quilter would have if she or he were to make one of my patterns.  Even if I rate my pattern "Expert", it should be fun to do.  Working with tiny pieces should not be essential for the overall appearance of the finished piece nor is it my idea of fun.  I am hoping that today's work will show that I have succeeded in making this design do-able.

Having said all that, I am reminded of Baltimore Album quilts which are noted for their incredibly complex designs that are full of the tiniest pieces imaginable.  Oh well, here's another truth.  For my current project, I have given myself 2 weeks and 3 days to finish the machine sewing and another week for any hand-work.  I do believe Baltimore Album quilts take a lot longer!

I'm off to work on my project - both large and small parts.  In another day or two I'll be able to tell you if I was able to keep it simple! 

I hope your day is uncomplicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment