Friday, July 22, 2011

Finnish Blog

Interesting mistake I made yesterday in directing people to Quilt Tales instead of my blog.  Interesting in a positive way as, like my brother Davis, I, too enjoyed her blog very much - especially all the photos.  A friend told me she thought the Finnish blog was mine when she saw the photo of the hexagons in among the geraniums (I am working on hand-sewing hexagons ala Grandmother's Flower Garden).  Wasn't that both a clever and a very pretty photograph?  I frequently wonder if one can say that a photo is a play on words, but in this case, it truly is.

I had to scan through several entries before I discovered "SB" meant Sylvia's Bridal Quilt from Jennifer Chiaverini's books.  Looking at those blocks reminded me of the 120+ blocks I made from Farmer's Wife (check Google's Images using Farmer's Wife to see some of the blocks) .  Fortunately, I'm so focused on the design contest that I can't get on with the 20+ more blocks I need to make in order to have a finished quilt top.  "Fortunately" because I'm just not ready to go back to it, and the contest keeps me from feeling guilty.  Those of you who have also struggled with the blocks from that book may understand what I mean.

By the way, when I started this blog yesterday, I wanted to use the name I mistakenly sent out, but when I discovered it was taken, I merely adapted it a bit for my own use.  Adaptation works but it doesn't always make one's heart sing.
Yesterday, I started sewing some pieces for the contest quilt top.  I had what I thought was a finished design, but as so often happens with me, I wasn't satisfied with with the overall designs although I liked the separate elements.  That meant tweaking it a bit. That necessitated eliminating one of the elements - my favorite part as a matter of fact.  It's very hard to let go of something you're crazy about if it just doesn't work (see my comment above about adaptation), but . . .  It has to be done.  Something I learned when teaching writing and doing my own writing is that although you may have to cut something for the sake of the whole piece, that "something" isn't a dead loss.  It may have to wait for a long time in your Ideas file, but eventually you might find the perfect place for it in another piece.  You may even wind up liking it more in the new piece than in the original.  I hope that is what will happen with yesterday's deletion. 

Wishing you all a happy and successful day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment