Friday, March 30, 2012

A Moon Lit Night

This was the sky the other night when the moon, Venus, and Jupiter were visible in the night sky. 
,This first photo is undoctored; the moon is the largest and the brightest, then looking to the southeast is Venus, and still lower to the horizon but still visible is Jupiter.  Remember, if you click on the photo it will enlarge, and you'll have a better look at Jupiter.  The second photograph which is at the bottom of this entry is the doctored one, and it is fun!  I really like the colors and the aura around the moon.

That aura should give all of us ideas for our quilts, paintings, and any art in which we dabble.  It's given me several ideas for further embellishing "Music of the Night" as well as designs for embroidery for the crazy quilt. 

Of course, the most obvious comparison between that doctored photo and anything else is between the photograph and the paintings of Van Gogh.  Some time ago I read an article that suggested Van Gogh painted as he did (the auras around objects in his paintings) because of a medical condition.  Naturally, I can't remember the specifics and can only think of migraines, but I don't think that was it.  Whatever it was, if indeed he suffered from that condition, it caused him to paint marvelous images for us. 

Although the second photograph was artificially enhanced (I get so excited when I see glories in the night skies, I forget to set my camera properly and have to fuss with them later), it is still worth seeing because now you can really see not only the moon and planets but also some of the stars that were also very bright that night.  It also reminds me of the poets who spoke about the "music of the spheres" which had as much to do with math as with music. Rather than math, I prefer to focus on music. Can't you hear some of your favorite music when you look at this photo?

2 comments:

  1. I marvel how your eye seeks beauty all about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! just beautiful.
    We are so blessed with all the beauty that is around us, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete