Tuesday, July 10, 2012

End of a Great Visit

Today was the last day of Nancy and Alice's visit.  Nancy left first, and unfortunately, we thought she was getting up at 6:00 a.m. so D made sure to arise then - only to see her car drive off!  She meant she was leaving at 6:00 a.m.  When our brains weren't clouded with sleep, we knew we should have realized that.  Good intentions out the window.

At least we were both up and aware when Alice took off.  That made both of us feel a little better.  However, there's always a letdown at the end of a visit no matter how smoothly the departures go. 

And, of course, I forgot to upload a great photo taken during their trip so I'll have to do that tomorrow.  I think it's a good one, but as it's on my phone (even though it has a pretty good sized screen), I can't be sure until I see it on the "big screen" of my computer.

After the sisters left, we both did some chores and then decided to relax.  D worked on his bonsai, and I returned to the pinwheel quilt.  It took a bit of fancy (read "unusual") measuring, but I managed and the borders are on.  The wall hanging is now officially ready for quilting.  Here it is, and I hope you recognize it:


The photo was taken in artificial light so the colors appear brighter than they really are, but at least you can see what I've done. 

What do you think about the border treatment?

5 comments:

  1. What a pretty 9 pinwheel quilt (hee, hee) Love what you did with the border and the extra pinwheels! The gals at quilt camp should be very surprised!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way your pattern is not contained by your borders (after all it is a pinwheel). I'm not a quilter so don't know the reason for your choice of which pinwheels to place in the border (knowing you, you know exactly what you're doing)! Somehow my eye feels less comfortable with the four on the bottom left. Do you think three might have worked better in making the pattern feel more random? But what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eather, I understand exactly what you mean about the left hand corner; I should have explained. The title of this wall hanging is "Escape from the Classroom" or "Last Day of School". One group is pushing out the door (lower left) while others are jumping out the first floor windows. I was remembering how excited students are when they are let loose to play - some try to retain a sense of "these are the rules" but almost hop over each other as they leave through the approved exit while others are more adventurous and seize whatever opportunity presents itself.

      Delete
  3. Now I think I shall just call this work "Recess"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would be able to explain your choice of pinwheel escape. I love how you find things in life that give meaning to your abstractions. I should send my paintings to you to name, but then how would you know what I felt?

      Delete