Monday, July 23, 2012

More Campy and Related News

First of all, I re-read what I wrote yesterday in an attempt to forestall repetition today.  What I noticed was that at the end of that entry I talked about making a quilt for my "great nephew".  Well, I have to tell you that all my nephews and all my nieces are "great" as in wonderful.  What I should have written was that I am making a quilt for my great-nephew with two more behind the curtains for two great-nieces. 

Today I once again amused myself regarding the upcoming quilts for the great-nieces.  As soon as I found out that their parents would appreciate a quilt, I started planning and purchasing fabric.  Did I have a pattern in mind?  Of course not!  That would be sensible, and while I can be sensible, I'm not always.  Eventually, while looking through a magazine I had purchased, I found a quilt pattern that had enough design interest and that included a few blocks large enough to feature the focal fabrics I had chosen. 

The fabric was hung over a hanger and put in the basement, and the magazine went into a plastic grocery bag to place over the hanger's hook so it could be easily found.  At some time, I must have thought it wasn't a good idea to have the pattern inside an opaque bag because I moved it and put it into a clear plastic zipper storage bag.  When I was getting ready for Quilt Camp, I took down the collection of fabrics thinking I would check the pattern, decide what I needed, and take care of that while at the quilt shop.

I couldn't find the magazine even after hunting high and low.  So I found a substitute pattern (an easy one) and finished the fabric selections.  You know what happened today when I went to the basement to do laundry.  You're right.  I found the magazine.  Now my quandary is which pattern will I do?  The new one on which I based my fabric purchases? or the old one for which I may have to add yardage?

While you're thinking about that, here is ME's sweet little wall hanging I raved about yesterday.
I think the nine-patch blocks are 2" x 2".  Whew, that's small!  While it would still be a lovely quilt, just look at what ME's choice of striped fabric does for this quilt!  The color is super and it adds so much to the design.  I wish people weren't so scared of stripes; they're not that difficult if one is careful in the selection and attentive during the cutting and sewing.  How is that different from any other choices we make?

Brava, ME!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the praise - but one correction. The nine patches are finished 1 1/2 inch. Yes, those red squares were cut 2 inch! And I love using stripes as a border. They're fun!

    Happy you found the original pattern. I also found the border fabric and book for the bird applique that I'm working on!

    See ya Friday!

    ReplyDelete