Thursday, July 26, 2012

"Liquid Assets on the Loose"

The quilt for my Florida dwelling great-nephew is finished!  Well, except for the backing, label, quilting, and binding - minor details, right?  It is too large to be able to put up on the rod in my family room so I had to flop it on the floor.  Please excuse the wrinkles, lumpy bumps caused by rug runners, and all other weirdnesses:

                            

Quilting experts, please notice the correct orientation of the side borders (or what you can see of the side borders)!  Now, some close ups of the black border:

Left Side: love these angel fish!
Bottom center: note the porthole - the fabric is the source for the border fish.

Right side: More about that fish later.
Unfortunately the pictures of the top border did not come out very well, but you might be able to tell that the sea turtle and the fish are coming up from the inner border. I used the same technique on the bottom and was especially pleased with the green fish on the far right. When the black border was sewn on, all one could see of that fish was his eye, part of his back, and a bit of his tail. I fussy cut his missing parts (I didn't have a whole fish in any of the pieces I had left) and sewed them on. 

This wound up being fun to do so I added some clown fish to the body of the quilt. 
In the Body of the Quilt: the Clown Fish are on the Loose!
The title of the quilt, "Liquid Assets on the Loose", is a play on the title of the pattern ("Liquid Assets"), the title of the book (More Loose Change), and the fact that in my interpretation, the fish are on the loose.

1 comment:

  1. What child wouldn't love all those colorful fish swimming on a sea of blue? I love the fish on the loose, and you've handled the border "problems" with masterful skill. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete