Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Our Emily Dickinson Garden

I finished planting the annuals in the back garden and then went out front to do a bit of weeding in the Emily Dickinson* garden.  Today's entry will be a record of some of the June flowers in this garden (in May you saw white bleeding heart).

This year the Peruvian daffodils are more yellow - chartreuse than I remember from previous years.  These are bulbs I have been able to find only in grocery stores and I travel from one to another to gather enough boxes of bulbs.  They are fragrant and very showy as you can see.



This is only the second year for my white clematis (I can't remember the variety and am sure I have the information somewhere but can't remember that either!) so I was quite surprised to see many buds.  The flowers are fully as large as I would expect on a more mature plant, but the plant itself is clearly a youngster.  I hope it will survive another winter (the weather being so unpredictable these last few years, I never know what will survive from one year to another).


 
This iris is called "Anniversary" and was given to us by sister-in-law Ann who also loved gardening and was especially fond of irises as we are, too.  Here, even with a spent bloom in evidence you can see how stunning a white flower is when the light is just right!

 
And this, if I remember correctly is Dictamnus, or gas plant.  It has several other names, too, of course as most plant do.  The stalks are shorter than they will be a bit later on, but it still makes a nice showing. 

 
And finally, a low growing shrub, Deutzia "Nikko", which is a joy at this time of year.  It has spread nicely so it's showy at this time of year.  For the rest of the summer, it holds its small green leave compactly and makes a nice background for later blooms.

 
I hope you enjoyed seeing some of the June blooms in our white flower garden!
 
*Emily Dickinson did not dress solely in white despite the fanciful story.  It would have been incredibly impractical in that time period (probably in any time period), but it is a charming conceit that I have adopted for the purpose of naming this garden.  However, she is my favorite American poet, and I believe is one of our greatest poets no matter what she wore!

1 comment:

  1. love the Emily D garden. It's always pretty! Wish I could get clematis to grow. I've managed to kill quite a few of them over the years - so much so that I've given up!

    ReplyDelete