Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Furnace Man Arrives

Not a great deal of interesting material to report today.  This morning Furnace Man came to "scope out" our basement and figure out exactly what he was going to have to do and what he would need.  Turned out that D and I had to move some things that would be in the way of his work on the ducts (hadn't thought of that!), but it didn't take too long, and in doing that chore, we were able to get rid of some more stuff.  Now that's a pleasure!

He did bring the new furnace which is now sitting in our garage all shiny and new looking.  And that's a good thing because now at least one thing in the garage is pristine!  Tomorrow the work will begin on installing that furnace and doing some necessary repair/replacement on our existing structure.  We are hoping that the first thing Furnace Man does is remove the very large oil tank which he drained today.  Fortunately for us, Furnace Man can use the oil himself in his home workshop so instead of worrying about the cost to cart it away, we have a credit.  

What with a doctor's appointment this morning, readying the basement, and the usual daytime business, I didn't get any more sewing done on the quilt.  With ME helping with the top edge and my border issue (black - it's practical and won't be seen), I am going to get that going tomorrow after the piano is tuned which, I think, is the only other thing I have to take care of.   After the last border is sewed in place, I will have to make the final measurements so I can piece the backing.  Even though I bought extra-wide backing material, it isn't wide enough for today's king-sized mattresses.  If I remember correctly, I opted for a 15.5" drop and I won't have the 3" leeway on every side for my quilter if I don't add more fabric.

Un-retouched Sketch

What I can show you is the Vermont barn sketch that I worked on during my studio time yesterday.   I corrected the shadowy side of the barn, shed, and yard and did minimal work on the hills and field.  For a study rather than a polished painting, I think this will do.

Final Work
 My favorite part is still the birds on the roof.

2 comments:

  1. it will be wonderful when the furnace guy is finished!! And I love the barn. didn't really notice the birds, but then on this screen the picture is very small. I'll just have to see it in person!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The retouched sides adds real dimension to the building. I know you love the birds best, but I love the old wood structure and the stone walls of the smaller building. It's good Mary Ellen can't see the birds. I may the mistake in my painting of making the birds too big. My sky was unusually good, so I didn't dare go back and fiddle with the birds fearing I would destroy my sky.

    ReplyDelete