Wednesday, July 3, 2013

More Museum Updates

The second day in DC I went to the Phillips Collection, a small museum that was new to me.  I went for that reason and because they had an exhibit of Georges Braque, the founding father of Cubism early in the 20th century.  I have to admit this was one of those self-righteous I-going-to-learn-something-not-because-I-like-it trips.  Cubism left me cold and Braque even colder.  I learned a lot.  I liked it a lot.  Braque's paintings are very special.  I'll say no more (other than if you ever get a chance to see an exhibit on this artist, don't pass it by) because it was a special exhibit of works primarily loaned by other institutions.  That means no photography allowed.
 
Instead I'll show you one of the prizes of the Phillips Collection.  When I think of Renoir, I think of voluptuous women, frequently nude, usually plump, in pastel colors, and very pretty, pretty.  Not to my taste on the whole.  But just take a look at this painting!  Isn't it fabulous?  One can feel the happy, relaxed nature of this party and hear the laughter and chatter - the hum of people having a good time. 
 
And the composition?  Wow!  Grouping things in threes is a favorite trick as it results in something that is very pleasing to the eye.  Just look at what Renoir has done!  How many groups of three can you find?  Allow yourself to group people or things into different groups of three, but try to keep count.  Each one of those groups could be an individual painting all by itself. 
 
 
Then notice that as busy as this painting is, Renoir managed to leave an empty space, a rest area.  What do you think this painting would look like if that rest area were not there - if there were more people there?  Do you see any other unusual things about this painting?  Think about them.  Why are they like that or why are those things/people there?

This makes a pleasing still life all by itself.
 
Here is a view through a window at the museum (which used to be the home of Phillips - oil heir).  Isn't it a pretty design?
 
 
And finally, the following photograph is especially for SMcG.  This extremely large spider is the work of a woman and I knew I had to take this picture home with me to share.  It isn't pretty, but you won't forget it!

 
As I was uploading these photos, I neglected to upload the attribution for this work so I'll try to remember to include it in a future entry.  Sorry, SMcG!

Tomorrow is the 4th of July so I plan to take a break until next Sunday evening.  Enjoy your day with a celebration of liberty ala John Adams - parades, picnics, and fireworks!

1 comment:

  1. I love Renoir mostly because he paints REAL women - not stick figures. In high school we had a choice of music appreciation or art appreciation. I took music. I have never dissected a painting - I either like it or I don't. I also think I don't truly see what is involved in each one. But, yes, I did notice there was a place to rest your eyes. I think without it, the painting would be more like chaos.

    I love stained glass windows - all of them. And that spider, sure wouldn't want it in my yard.

    Hope you enjoyed your 4th!

    ReplyDelete