Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Now, Will the REAL Final Painting, Please Stand Up?

Okay, I was so sure when I wrote last night's entry that I was showing the final of my painting, but when I finished and looked at it again, I knew I had to do something about the color of the building behind the musicians.  So I immediately got out my paints and went to work.

The result?  Even after rag-rolling* the wet paint, by the time I went to bed I was convinced I had ruined the work entirely.  The rag-rolling helped, but the color was still so far beyond god-awful I didn't think anything could save the painting.  
Just imagine how I felt.  This was a painting I had started in Vermont in August and one that I truly felt in my bones that I had to do.  It took a very long time to do for a number of reasons, but I was remained committed to completing it  - which I had finally accomplished.  And I had destroyed it.

A good night's sleep brought the answer once again.  I went back to the studio, carefully thought over what I had come up with during my sleep, took a deep breath, and picked up my tools.  It took a while, but when I had finished, I looked at the painting in a mirror and then straight on.  The offending color had been turned to a beautiful, rich, but very dark brown.  It was slightly mottled (all on it's own without rag-rolling) instead of a flat color.  And it was o.k. - too dark, but O. K.!!

So once again, I'd like to show you the finished "French Quarter Notes."


Oh, and you may notice I fiddled a bit in the background, too, until in my head I heard the voice of another student in the class, "Put the Brush Down.  Turn your Back and Put your Hands Up.  NOW!"  So I did.

*Rag-rolling: the term I use to describe using a rolled-up, wrinkled paper towel to blot up wet paint.  It blots but also leaves the impression of the wrinkles - easy added texture.  I don't know what that method is really called, but this works for me.

2 comments:

  1. You truly did it. I love the colors of the buildings behind the players which I didn't understand before. I thought the musicians were in a room ay one point/. It's a definite street scene complete with lazy dog. There is such life and movement in the scene. I can hear the music blaring in New Orleans from this rag-tag group of musicians. I can't wait to see this one in real life. I still don't know how you were able to get the masking fluid off after so many weeks. You'll have to tell me your secret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, Noel !!!

    ReplyDelete