Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Sewing Woe

A day of errand running followed by a less than productive time sewing.  The baby blanket on which I am working was finally ready to sew together.  Or so I thought. The quilt blocks are simple half-square triangle which form a zig-zag line when assembled.  But in order to make the zig-zag as sharp as sharp as they should be, the color values have to be really right.  Several blocks weren't as accurate I wanted so they had to be re-done.  

After I did that and laid the whole quilt out again, I was excited to be at the sewing point.  The end, I thought, is near (read that out loud with lots verve and enthusiasm!).  So I sewed the first row together.  Hmm, the points of two triangles didn't match as well as I like, but they weren't too bad.  On to the second row.  Sew one block, second block, third, fourth . . . . what?, keep going and sew the fifth . . . . uh-oh.  Light bulb goes on.  "Drat," I muttered to myself.  "I forgot to square up the blocks!!!"  

My brain didn't want to hear that.  "Go on," it whispered in my ear, "you know you can fudge it when you have to sew it all together.  No one will notice."  Smirk.

I listened to my satanic-side and sewed the rest of the blocks in that row. Then I took both of them to the ironing board, ironed the seams in both rows, then went to the cutting board where I laid them out with edges touching.

No way.  I have to correct it.

So guess what I'll be doing tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. sometimes the things we think will be quick end up taking the longest time. Keep at it. And I'd love to see it when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete