Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Gyeongbukgung Palace: Traditional Dress Day

 The title of this entry says it all.  It was clear to us after this particular morning's tour that the South Koreans take Golden Week and its traditional base to dress in traditional dress.  Believe me, I didn't argue with that idea!  The possibilities for sketches, paintings, and quilt designs was multiplied by, well, five? ten? a lot anyway.

In the palace, we found this woman in the "kitchen".  Note the shoes - that gave me a giggle, but we all know what happens if your feet hurt!


 This is just a lovely area that I included here for painting purposes.  Imagine how the landscape would look with some of the locales in their traditional garb.  Well, not in the pond, of course!


These three ladies, for example could be walking beside the pond to the right where I would add a path (that was really there though it wasn't included in my photo).  Actually, they reminded me of Monet's "Women in the Garden" (find it on-line to see what I mean).  It's because of the shape of the skirts, I think.  Anyway, I think combining the two might work as a painting.


        

 Next there is this couple in gorgeous costume posing by the same pond.  Look how her skirt billows just beautifully in the wind.


Another couple.  You may wonder why most of the photos are taken from behind.  First, I didn't want to be rude or to make people self-conscious. Even though dressed as they were, they must have expected people like me who couldn't and wouldn't resist snapping away.


And viewed inside a Palace courtyard.



 Okay, here are some people viewed from the front.  Don't you just love their clothes and head coverings - and their smiles!




And that's the end of this tour!


1 comment:

  1. I'm very sorry to see this tour end. The outfits are really beautiful - but I'll bet they were VERY warm, too. And the scenery is just - well, stupendous? It's so different than the US and simply beautiful! Thanks for taking me on vacation!

    ReplyDelete