Monday, January 16, 2012

For Esther

When I announced that I was going to stop writing my blog, there were a few people who wrote and remonstrated with me.  They enjoyed reading what I wrote, and wanted me to continue.  As you know, it's very difficult for some to respond, and others don't wish to, so sometimes I feel as though I'm writing for no audience.

Esther, my more-sister-than-in-law, took it upon herself to write to me after almost every blog and comment in some way on what I had said.  Friday I received a valid complaint from her.  I spent some time last week describing my projects with no accompanying photographs.  I was lazy.  This week I will try to show you what I have been doing, Esther, and I'll start with David's lap quilt.  I mentioned that I had pinned it to its backing so I could quilt it using machine embroidery stitches.  Here is part of it in its porcupine glory:
Partially pinned lap quilt

While I was pinning I had the feeling that I wasn't using enough pins, but I had no idea how many I should use.  One every 6 inches, every 3 inches, every inch?  I let the blocks decide for me and tried to use one in every corner of each block.  At the end I had used 275 or 276 (I lost count near the end) pins. 

The thread I'm using for the embroidery is all right, but it isn't the thread I used while appliqueing the random stars on the quilt.  It may have been quite popular for people making gifts as that is when I purchased the first spool.  It was red, gold, and black.  The thread I did buy and am using now is dark red, dark green, and cream/white.  Actually, I was somewhat surprised to have found those colors.  It seems more holiday-ish than what I had earlier.

                                
Here's a photo of one of the stars I machine appliqued on the quilt.  It is one of the star shapes I used in "Music of the Night"; I am partial to it. It's flannel but not from the same fabric line as the blocks, but I used it for the inner border so it works in well.  The outer, wide border is the black floral flannel (you can see it in this picture in three blocks; one to the upper left of the star, one to the right, and one in the lower left) as well a one or two other stars.

Yesterday I finished all of the machine embroidery.  Next I have to cut and sew the binding from various length strips of the flannels.  But, with D's permission, I'm going to set it aside while I finish another project.  That one won't take too long so I'll be able to get back to the binding soon.

I hope.

1 comment:

  1. You can imagine my surprise to see my request answered so quickly and my name in headlines! Maybe your other readers will soon take to responding to your comments to see their names in print. I thought about a sculpture that I had seen in East Hampton a number of years ago when I read about the quantity of pins you used. The sculpture was made entirely of safety pins which made me comment: "So that's what you can do with all your safety pins!" Now years later I find there are other uses. (Did you have to buy them or had you saved them over the years?) P.S. Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete