Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Beginnings - Again!

This will be a short posting as this is still a busy holiday time for us.  David is suffering from a cold accompanied with a dreadful cough, his sister Alice comes to share Christmas with us today, my painting and piano lessons start again this week, and there is one final holiday gathering this weekend. 

Today I was up quite early to put finishing touches on various and sundry chores before I head out to painting.  I have missed those classes these past few weeks!  The painting I'm working on, the one of a cliff opening at Canyon de Chelly, is ready for the finishing work, and I'm eager to do it.  It's had two weeks of drying so I should be able to do a lot today.  Later this month I'm going to buy a sturdy wooden easel for use at home.  I don't paint here because my current easel isn't very stable; indeed, the bar that holds the canvas has a tendency to fall off if it is bumped.  Can you imagine what would happen if a wet oil painting fell on your floor?  The destruction of hours of work on the painting and a huge, messy, smelly clean up!  Ugh.  So I've avoided that by not painting.  That's not good.  We all know the value of frequent practice, right?

Speaking of practice, there's another thing that has fallen by the wayside.  The piano hasn't had its daily workout over the holiday season.  We've been away, been busy etc.  Now I'll be going to my lesson with an old piece that hasn't improved and a new piece that's still brand new.  My poor teacher is going to spend half an hour listening to me bumble along.  I'm not going to cancel, though.  That would be too easy!  By going I will kick-start the habit of daily practice again (I'll be shamed into it if nothing else!).

Anyway, those are some of the things my New Year is starting with.  How's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment