Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Hit or Miss

In case you had trouble (a "Miss") with the video on the V&AM that I gave you in yesterday's blog. try this:
http://www.vam.ac.uk/channel/happenings/exhibitions_and_galleries/golden_spider_silk_cape/

There are times when one seems to be living within a clock that has a "hit or miss" pendulum.  To make things even more complicated, there is a tiny gnome who lives inside the clock and whenever you're not looking, he slides down the pendulum and switches the "hit" sign with the "miss" sign. 

For example, on Sunday, I happily unwrapped a new, larger canvas and set it on my new, sturdy easel (after spreading newspaper around, just in case).  My charcoal pencil was ready and quickly I sketched the bare outlines of my planned painting.  Then I pried off the tight rubber lid on the box in which I store my palatte with the lovely globs of oil paints I have been using (a hard, rubbery skin forms on the paint that can be removed with a palatte knife and beneath that skin is silky smooth paint that can be used again).  Refreshing those paints that needed it, I was ready to work - which I did for a little over an hour.  My clock's pendulum was set on "Hit".

But, with nary a blink of an eye, that wee crafty gnome snuck out the minute my back was turned and BAM! 

My eyes were crossed and my nose was stuck to a pendulum that clear as day now read "Miss".  I had run out of two critical colors of paint.  Of course, I had just purchased six enormous tubes of paint (have I mentioned how much one uses when using a palatte knife rather than brushes?) of the colors I needed the most. Yes, there were additional tubes I thought I should buy, but money was in short supply so I limited myself to 6.  Have I twisted off the caps of any of those yet?  No.  I needed the two I didn't purchase.  Of course.  Pendulum on "Miss".

Oh well, at least I now have a gnome to blame.  You may borrow him any time you wish!

No comments:

Post a Comment