Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Paintings

Tuesday is my painting day, and to my delight I finished work on Canyon Path and began a second painting set in Canyon de Chelley. Here are photos of the paintings: the first is Day 3 and the next is Day 4 (final day).  The first one you see is in the almost finished stage, but I wasn't happy with the blue shadow at the base of the rock wall on the right.  It's too heavy and creeps too far up a wall which faces the light.  Also, the rocks at the side of the path on the lower left aren't finished.

This one is the final version. It's shown against a black backdrop which gives it a more finished look (and may make it look darker). You might be interested in comparing these two with my earlier "drafts" of this scene to see what I changed.  These are more accurate to the scene than the work I did in my first days on this subject.
Now, as I told you a few entries ago, I am going to continue painting Canyon de Chelley scenes to make what I have learned so far stick in my mind. Also, because it is a magnificent place so the painting is a joy. This is my first pass at another section of the Canyon.  So far all I have tried to do is

 
lay down some colors and begin to get the shapes right.  Obviously, there's a lot of work yet to be done.  In this painting, one of the challenges will be to show the different layers of rock and the directions they take.  To me it was one of the most striking and interesting things about these canyons.

I should also tell you that I finally purchased an "at home" easel!  Now I can paint here without worrying about my canvas falling face down on the floor or carpet.  With both luck and time, I hope to start a third painting Friday.  That will enable me to paint at least twice a week - once on each painting.

A note about these photographs.  There's something about the transfer from Picasa to a folder on my desktop to the blog that makes these paintings appear square which they aren't.  I wish I could figure out what does that; it changes the paintings in an unfavorable way.  Phooey!

1 comment:

  1. I was so thrilled to see the posting of your oil paintings. You really captured the colors of those rocks. Is your second painting of the same tunnel but a different perspective? I particularly like the mystery of the dark tunnel through those massive walls. We painted today, and I think both Dave and I felt a little better about what we've done. I have yet to scan the paintings, but will try to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete