Thursday, September 13, 2012

A Dose of Common Sense

Yesterday I mentioned the hand-sewing project I've been working on.  Today I took the sample blocks to Log Cabin so they could put them up to advertise the up-coming hand-sewing club.  Deliberately, I did not take the fabric I intended to use for the solid block between the hand-pieced ones.  Even though I have enough fabric, I didn't want to cut it so I though I'd purchase a piece of something else at the shop.  After a few auditions, I settled on a batik with a cream background and pale green scrolling vines with pineapples.  I shouldn't say "settled" because I fell in love with it and the way it complements the blocks and adds an airy look.  Of course, I had to buy enough to use for the completed wall hanging.
 
But that means that I have a piece of a nice solid green going begging (how amazing - a piece for my stash?  me with extra fabric?  it is to laugh!).  But my original plan was to embroider a flower on each solid green block to complement the fabrics used in the pieced blocks.  On the way home, I mulled this over and came up with the idea to use the scrolly batik and the solid green alternately.  That way, I reasoned, I'd have half as many embroidered blocks to do.  And while I do love to embroider, I am working on a crazy quilt, also.
 
This evening, I sat watching Antiques Roadshow while waiting until I had to go pick D up from working at the polls.  As usual, I worked on piecing another block while sitting there.  Stitch, watch, glance at pretty fabric, stitch, watch, admire pretty fabric, stitch, watch, boom!  The light bulb in my brain exploded with common sense. 
 
When on earth am I going to find the time to do all that embroidery?  Yes, it would be lovely, yes, I would enjoy doing it, yes, it would enhance the wall hanging, but . . .  I still have a second fairy quilt to work on, a quilt planned for us, bags to make, Christmas presents to sew, and yes, that wonderful crazy quilt project to keep me busy.  And what was I sitting there doing?  Hand-piecing.  Would it be the last hand-piecing project I do?  No, and I still have a couple to finish! 
 
The scrolly vine batik will look just fine between every pieced block. 
 
Common sense is a beautiful thing (too bad it doesn't visit more often). 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. But you are an artist who is passionate about her art. That's why you see the possibilities. And, who says it has to be done immediately. Heck, I'm betting the world doesn't end on 12/21/12 - so I say, go for it. Throw caution and common sense to the wind!

    Maybe do the embroidery and make them crazy quilted blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh thank goodness! You came to your senses...now I don't have to worry about you (or hit you??!). I'll have to go check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's time for more photos of your projects. You know, one picture is worth a thousand words (that does not mean you should stop writing about it!)

    ReplyDelete