Sunday, September 23, 2012

Fairy Qlt #2 - Finally!

Here it is - Fairy Quilt #2 in bright, warm pastels.               
 
Officially completed except for the remaining details of ironing and piecing the backs for both quilts, I am quite happy.  After some realistic pondering, I have changed the names once again.  In my mind they started out as Twilight and Dawn.  Then I thought that the word "twilight" isn't very commonly used and is difficult for a youngster to say so I changed it to Dusk and Dawn.  Well, more thinking -  if you were a 2-year-old, and someone told you your new quilt was named "Dust", what would you think?  You know that's what a child would hear.  Okay.  Deep breath and accept the simple - "Night" and "Day". 
 
Just in case you forgot, here is the first one I made in cool colors and less wide-awake pastels:
I may be repeating myself, but I used the same pattern (Atkinson's "Slide Show") and the same border (even though the lighting makes the color of the border less vivid in Fairy #1) for several reasons.  Right now the little girls are very little indeed and having something that is essentially the same but recognizably different may eliminate some sibling rivalry (whenever that rears its head).  Also, the girls may share a room and this helps with coordination.  Both have the same number of fairies scattered across the top; the top two are in the same places on both quilts, but after that they alternate sides.
 
My plan is to send these quilts with the labels complete except for the name of the little girl for whom the quilt is made.  At this point, I think it's fair to let the older of the two (I'm sure the baby is not in a big girl bed, yet) choose the one she wants.  Then her mother can write her name on the label. Or the mother can choose. 
 
 
Here's a photo with better color (and a crooked edge!), and now, good night to the fairies and to you!
 
P.S.  Lynn Makrin who taught the Storm at Sea class I took last week sent me a lovely e-mail thanking me for my entry.  It reminded me that I neglected to share her blog with you, and she graciously gave her permission as I gave her mine to share this one.  Lynn says she write twice a month, and it's mostly to only about quilting.   Here's her address:
Visit and see her photos of the work we did last week and some of the many pieces she has done in her quilt work.
 

3 comments:

  1. wow! Staying home yesterday did the trick. I'm happy you've got these under your belt. Now on to Christmas gifts. And thanks for the blog addy which I will look at during a typing break today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful fairy quilt! Need to keep this away from my daughter or I'll have a "paid in kisses and hugs" commission on my hands!.
    Thanks, Noel! I appreciate the note about my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lucky little girls. These are the quilts that dreams are made of.

    ReplyDelete