Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Peek at Projects (Many)

Before I begin, I'd like to give you a bit of background.  Many of you know that my sewing room is in the dining room and that I work around dining room furniture that is full of, guess what?, dining room things.  That means that my quilting materials sit on the table, the side board, and every chair on which I don't sit.   Recently we got rid of our old ladder back chairs (tall, striking, and immensely uncomfortable after 5 minutes), and now we have some lovely Hitchcock-look-alikes (from D's family home) which are shorter, stunning, and more comfortable.  In order to effect the change, I had to remove piles of fabrics and patterns from every chair AND the bags of things that I had hung from the points of each chair.  This change encouraged me to tidy and organize (didn't I just do that? yes, but - well, some things grow overnight and multiply like the dratted chipmunks in my yard!).
 
Having said that, here are some of my projects:
 
 
Second Fairy Quilt, "Daytime", hanging over the back of a chair in the family room where I will cut out fairies to sew on a la Broderie Perse.  I opened it up today so it wouldn't get more creased than it is already, and so I wouldn't forget what I have yet to do.
 

This is a little Christmas table mat/runner I made - is it two years ago? - in Karen's "Littles" class that is still waiting for machine quilting (which I plan to do).  It was hiding on the sideboard under Farmer's Wife blocks (more on those another time).

Here is a pile of fabrics I've washed but that need ironing for a class I am taking this week.  When I finish writing this entry, I will iron as much as I can tonight and start cutting tomorrow.  This project is second on my list of gifts planned for this Christmas.
 
And here are other projects in various stages (and one pile of vintage red on white linens that I collect).  On the right hanging on the dry sink  is a tumbler pattern that is waiting for wool applique, on the floor is a wall hanging, neatly folded, all quilted and waiting for sleeve and binding (in the plastic bag on top.  On the left just beyond the yarn winder is a pile of fabrics all washed and waiting with the pattern book on top for me to find time to make a king-size quilt for us (intended to be used in October-November).  And so it stretches back to the batting for the fairy quilts with two more quilted projects waiting for binding. 
 
All those piles are spread out so I can see them and organize them before finding better places for them than the backs and seats of chairs!
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Noel, I'm so impressed by the work you have laid out before you. I thought you said that you really weren't that busy. My head spins when I see all your projects.

    ReplyDelete