Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Good Intentions . . .

Today I managed to complete the 10th block of my current hand-sewing project, and I had intended to show them off to you, but . . .  My camera is out of juice!  Yes, I could use my cell phone, but that seems too cumbersome.  So instead, you will have to suffer through more photos of the Vermont scenery that I may decide to paint at some time - when I have time. 
 
I know, I know.  Big sigh.  More photos = more painting = more quilts.  No, there's no end in sight. 


Before you throw up your hands in despair, and cry, "Tell me she's not going to paint another rainbow; oh, no, it's a double rainbow!!!", these photos are to enjoy and trust me there is no painting of rainbows taking place in my near future so you can relax.
 
But here are some that I am seriously considering as painting subjects.
 
Both of these were taken on the one rainy day we had, and show the landscape after the rain.  The lake is glassy, the colors are muted and very limited.  Then as the final touch, the reflections of the clouds and sailboat in the water are terrific.  Talk about a challenge on many fronts; just imagine trying to get the atmosphere correct let alone anything else!


 
This photograph is one of my very favorite sites on the lake.  Most pictures I have taken of it are in raking light (see definition below with accompanying photo examples), but this one, like those immediately above, conveys a very different mood and challenge.
 
Which one would you pick to work on first? 


Post Script
Definition of raking light
noun
·                     (in art or photography) bright light, usually beamed obliquely, used to reveal such features as texture and detail.
Turns out I was trying to take different photographs this year, so neither of these show you exactly what I mean, but they come close.  Notice how the light is striking the rocks and birch trees and then compare it to the earlier one in this entry.

 

1 comment:

  1. If I could paint I would do the one with the sailboat - the one on the left as it is a closer view of the boat but still has the mountains and a fantastic shadow in the water. These are beautiful photos and, you know, you can have them made any size you want on any texture and, voila, you're done! (ha, ha) That's the method for those of us who are drawing challenged! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete