Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014 and Resolutions

Do you make resolutions for the New Year?  Normally I don't because I've never had much luck keeping them.  However, after reading several articles about why people don't do well with their resolutions, I've decided to try again.

According to the experts, one of the reasons I may not have gotten very far before is I have not been specific enough in wording.  Okay, here goes:
  1. I resolve to complete 3 Blocks of the Month projects.  At this point, I think I should also specify which three I will work on, but since most of my things are still packed away, I will define only 2 BOM projects: Keepsake Quilting's "Downtown" and the local "Words to Live By" (that may not be the exact title but it's close).  The third one is unspecified but I resolve it should be one that has been kicking around for far too long.
  2. (The next possible issue with resolutions is that one tends to make them unrealistic.  So here's the second one.)  I resolve to lose 11 pounds.  Should I lose more weight?  Yes, but if I say I resolve to lose 50 lbs, I'm probably defeated before I start.  Eleven pounds is achievable.  Another part of this statement is something I learned whle teaching.  Some numbers are used so much that they have no meaning, and the most overused numbers are multiples of five.  So instead of saying that I will lose 10 lbs, I made it 11.  It's more than 10 which makes it important, and it's an unusual number and will therefore stick in my head and not on my body! 
  3. I resolve to make quilts of my own design this year.  And I further specify that one must be one for the Girlfriend's Challenge and another one my anniversary quilt design.
And that's it.  I'm going to stop at three resolutions because if the list is too long, I will be overwhelmed, will curl up in my corner of the sofa, and eat bon-bons.

And to prove to myself that I can finish somethings, here is the completed top of my grandson's quilt.  It's spread out on the bed in our guest room to see if it is as long as my daughter wants it to be, and oh joy, oh rapture, it is!


This is the center medallion with some fish, more seaweed, a seashell, and a starfish added since you saw it last.  There are three more fish and one sea turtle appliqued on the quilt that you can't see well in these photos.


Tomorrow I will piece the backing.  Even though I purchased extra wide backing fabric for this quilt, I have so many blocks left over that I will put them to use on the back and which will help use up my stash.

Oh dear, is that another resolution??????????  


1 comment:

  1. The quilt is spectacular. Love the brightness and the design. The center is magnificent.

    OK -- should I dare say I resolve to lose 29 pounds this year? That's only 2.5 pounds per month and should be do-able.

    I do resolve to reduce my stash - either by using it or donating portions. And the rest I'd better not think about just yet!

    ReplyDelete