Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Painting Issues

Although yesterday was the day of my studio class, I didn't write about it nor did I post any photos.  I wasn't ready to.  When my work really doesn't go well, I sometimes have to step away from it and just let it be.  That means that I don't go back and mess around on the canvas, fabric, clay, whatever; I let my hands stay idle.  And if possible, I don't even think about it.  I know from experience that in a relatively short time, my brain will come to terms with my disappointment, inability, or whatever combination of things caused my lack of success.

Notice, I have learned not to say "failure".  That's huge.  

As you know, I have been working with water color paints and felt I had gotten to a point where I had a nodding acquaintance with them and how to achieve a passable painting.  Passable.  Yesterday I might as well have held my brush in my left hand.  What I did, as Sharon said, was try to push the paint around the surface instead of letting it flow.  I was back to oil painting technique with water color paints.

All right.  What has my brain come up with since then?

It's simple.  Practice.  In between classes I have let myself get pulled into all the other activities that I either need to or want to do.  Now I know practice is key, and as I have discovered, I need to practice.  While I am truly convinced that therein lies my answer, I now have to want it badly enough to set aside the time and keep it sacrosanct.

Of course, learning to accept the fact that I am not perfect at something after 6 months would help, too.

1 comment:

  1. six months is not a long time. Give yourself a bit more time and, yes, do practice!! By the way, don't be too down on yourself. No one has a great day every day of their life!

    ReplyDelete