Last night I held up the quilt I had - almost - finished at Quilt Camp and discovered the mistake I made when hurrying to complete it. It was Sunday, and we leave Quilt Camp by 4:00 so I buckled down to work as soon as we got there in the morning. First I sewed the blocks into rows, and by lunch I had sewed the first four rows together into a unit and the final three rows into another unit. Then I took a break and ate lunch.
After lunch thinking the end was within my grasp, I quickly sewed the two units together and turned my attention to preparing the two borders. Even though I got distracted for a while, I did make good headway and managed to cut and sew on three sides of the first border. By the time we headed for home, the knowledge I hadn't completed the entire project had stopped stinging. It was so close to completion I reasoned that I could safely expect to get it all ready by next weekend. That's when I have class at the same quilt shop and would therefor be able to turn over the quilt to the machine quilter.
BUT, last night I found that I had sewed the second unit (of the bottom three rows) to the first upside down! Now I have to take the borders off, un-sew the two units, re-sew them the correct way, re-sew the first border, prepare the second border, and sew it on after checking that everything is oriented correctly.
That's why haste is such a waste of time!