Thursday, September 10, 2015

Two Views of the Same Subject

You have seen the stages through which "Behind the Barn", a watercolor painting based on a shed-like structure behind a barn at Perennial Pleasures in Hardwick, Vermont, passed on its way to becoming a finished painting.  You've also possibly understood that for me as an artist, a painting is never really complete - that I continue to see things I should have done as well as things I might have done.  

Now I begin again.  Oddly enough, "Behind the Barn" is a painting that was begun a year ago and then put aside, and the new work on which I have embarked isn't really new at all.  I painted this view a year or more ago, and the result was phenomenally horrible!  I flashed it in front of Sharon's eyes and then promptly hid it in my bag where it stayed until I could tear it up (I don't do that very often).  This time I plan to try it again and at least begin it right.

I started with a pencil value sketch:


This first one is clearly more detailed than the second - primarily because it was the first and got more time.  I should take a photo of the pencils I used one of which is rapidly becoming my favorite.  It's a flat piece of graphite that is maybe 3/8" - 1/2" inch broad and doesn't have a point.  Most of the above drawing was done with that pencil.  The weeds in the foreground and the lighter portions of the background were done with soft-lead pencils: 2B, 4B, 8B.

Then this is the second one.  The change in paper size was deliberate as this is the long and narrow painting I originally planned for this subject.  Now I like both sizes and will probably start by working on both.  The first one strikes me as a simple landscape of a house and barn in a lovely setting.  The second view to me is quite different.  In this one, I feel the immensity of the landscape and the loneliness of the farm.  


It's like reading two different versions of the Cinderella story.



1 comment:

  1. Why am I not recognizing this? I feel I should, but I don't. You often catch a .new perspective on something familiar. Have you tricked me again?

    ReplyDelete