Thursday, November 10, 2011

And the Winner Is . . .

Melanie Wilson from Utah who designed "Mama" is the winner of this year's McCall's Quilt Design Star Contest!  This quilt showed  a nice blending of styles and personal meaning and proves that putting your heart on the line is a good thing. 

This past six months has been a busy time, and as David says after hearing the results, "We now have three more beautiful quilts for our home."  He has been with me all the way - even to cooking meals when I was busy at the machine all day.  When I told him what I had gotten into he said, "Good for you!"  Now that's a supportive husband.  John, my son-in-law, responded to my e-mail about not winning with these words, "That's okay, Mom, I will be more than happy to display any of those quilts in our home any time."  Wow!  My family has e-mailed me with their words of encouragement and excited comments as I progressed, and it's been so wonderful to hear from them.  The teachers I worked with have been vocal with their enthusiasm, and when I went out with my best friend from those years, she always started our conversations with questions about how I was doing.  Everyone I know asked me what they could do to help, and if you've been reading my blog, you know that my best friend opened her stash, her heart, and her encouragement.  Many people have voiced their good wishes all along this incredible trip.  And the quilt shops have willingly put up flyers and asked to hear all about my experiences.  I have been so fortunate!

Now it's time to close this chapter of my life and take the lessons I've learned on with me as I continue to whatever comes next.  I do know that my family and my friends can be counted on even with something as tedious as voting every day, and that was a lot to ask for!  Creating quilts from my own designs will now be something I will do whenever the inspiration strikes instead of filing those ideas away as I did when I was afraid.  I am taking heart from this experience and will continue to challenge myself whenever I can.  And I will be there for all of you when you need me.  Because that's what I've won - proof that it's our family, our friends, and our community who are worth more than any prize (yes, even a Horn cabinet!).

So this is my last entry in my blog.  Thank you all of you have told me that you read it; it hasn't always been easy to write because there is no opportunity for interaction with you, no feedback.  But on the other hand, it has given me an chance to think about and make decisions on subjects that might not have come up otherwise. 

Just make this one more experience you've helped me with.

From the bottom of my heart, Thank You!

Off into the Sunset!

1 comment:

  1. I hope that your "last entry" means about the quilting contest and not that you are closing your blog altogether. You have a gift with words (as well as needle and thread) and I know that there will be lots of us out here that will miss blog entries- be they about quilting or otherwise.
    Keep this as part of your life- it serves you - and those of us who look forward to a new post- well.

    ReplyDelete