Thursday, May 24, 2012

Embroidery and Its Future

From time to time, I write about blogs that I enjoy and encourage you to check them out.  Over the course of time in exploring and writing about them, I find that my interest may wane.  It's a natural thing;  a blog written by a professional who may spend part of every entry trying to drum up business (which I can appreciate if it's an issue of keeping body and soul alive) grows old quickly or a person who writes on one topic only and who hasn't learned how to go beyond the surface would become tedious in a matter of days. 

However, one blog I mention often because I find it consistently fascinating is Needle'nThread by Mary Corbet (www.needle'nthread.com) .  Today her entry was her "okay-this-time-I-really-mean-it's-the-final-one" about her medallion project, and you really have to see it.  For the first time since I've been following her, she is able to show how she mounts her embroidered piece onto the intended garment, in this case a chasuble*.  I say "able to show" because she is the one actually doing the sewing - not the seamstress who made the chasuble.  It is a STUNNING work of art. 

This is a gold work pomegranate (photo from Google Images) stitched by Mary Corbet


I think, after looking at the completed garment, that I have a better idea about the future of embroidery in this country (as opposed to European countries which have a wealth of traditional garments requiring hand-stitched embroidery - think England and the Beefeaters, royal regalia, military, etc., France with their haute couture gowns and Japan with traditional kimonos (even if worn only on special occasions).  You might want to visit a few of the entries in Mary C's blog preceding the one I mention here.  She does discuss the approximate cost for the materials she used (yes, that's genuine gold thread!) and the number of hours put into the medallion work.

Another image from the same gold work pomegranate piece designed and stitched by MC
      Initially I was rather depressed when I thought that there is little call for this kind of work in this county, but one of the things Mary Corbet does on her blog, and does so very well, is teach.  She has a following of thousands of embroidery enthusiasts.  People like you and me who love a particular art and practice it will carry it on even if it's not the same volume of work.  Think of all those crazy quilters (myself included).  Some of those people work at Mary's level of skill and attract attention and followers. 

What I want to leave you with is a sense of renewed purpose to continue doing whatever art you love even if you get a bit discouraged when you look at true masterworks.  What we do keeps the flame burning, and we will encourage and teach those who come after.  Maybe someone in one of my classes will excel at something that I sparked them to do. 

I don't know about you, but I've just made myself feel better about the applique I have to "un-sew" !           

 

*I added the following since I adore words and their etymologies, and I wondered what the root was for this one.  Hope you find it as interesting as I did!
 
World English Dictionary
chasuble (ˈtʃæzjʊb ə l)
n
Christianity a long sleeveless outer vestment worn by a priest when celebrating Mass
[C13: from French, from Late Latin casubla garment with a hood, apparently from casula cloak, literally: little house, from Latin casa cottage]


Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source
 

No comments:

Post a Comment