Monday, June 18, 2012

Monday's Chores

Today I didn't have a chance to do any sewing, but I feel good about what I did do.  It was laundry day and that segued, finally, into cleaning out my closet (a twice yearly task that should have been completed in late April - early May).  Once I had that completed, I decided to take on my half of the closet in the computer room.  I couldn't even remember what I had in it so obviously this hadn't been done for quite some time.  I found some lovely things which I will have cleaned and then hang up after making an inventory (memory has become iffy enough that it helps to keep a list, by closet or by storage bin, of what is which closet or bin).  What I had forgotten were some of my old work suits - lovely things that I no longer need.  Unfortunately, one of them is my favorite black suit, but I'll never be that size again.  Oh well, I will have some new and glorious felted wool soon - some things just won't be sent to the Salvation Army!

I also took care of some odds and ends in the kitchen after putting away the mountain of dishes from yesterday's baking (strawberry shortcakes for Father's Day and scones for my father-in-law).  I mixed up some pancake batter so D could take some homemade pancakes down to his father and glazed the scones also for sharing with Dad.  Then there were hard-cooked eggs to watch over as they cooked.  Those are for our trip to D.C. (neither of us enjoys spending money on ho-hum meals so we carry our own goodies for breakfast and lunch).  The house received a quick picking up so it could be cleaned and that was almost everything.  Now that I look at it it doesn't seem like so much, but, trust me, making numerous trips carrying the winter clothing down the stairs and some summer clothing and the clean laundry up the stairs made it seem like a lot!

My day was topped off by taking out four rows of knitting.  I had puzzled over it yesterday trying to figure out what on earth I had done and decide on how to deal with it.  When I went to bed, I had myself convinced that I could make subtle changes on my current row and recover.  Today I knew I couldn't do that.  The pattern has numerous cables, and the error was smack dab in the middle of the cable plumb in the center of the back.  So it was a get-real-Noel-you'll-never-be-able-to-stand-it moment this evening and I took out the necessary rows.  Fortunately, it took only four rows before I could pick up the stitches and eliminate the error.
Immortality Iris - a favorite flower worthy of a repeat

So, it was a good day doing mundane chores that needed doing. 



2 comments:

  1. Funny, I went through all the bags of clothes that Karen gave me, too! Put some away that were too tight, a couple on the ironing board for now, and the rest in a bag for the church.

    Feels good getting the mundane but necessary chores done, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noel, I just spent a half hour typing a reply to your "mundane" chores. I lost it all, and just have to say that I felt similarly about doing 5 hours of gardening yesterday. Some day I'll have to tell you all about our groundhog war -- from huge pots on cinderblocks, to deer scram, lately vegetable protection spray, and finally the installation of the electric fence we bought two years ago. I still have to see who will win the battle.

    ReplyDelete