Monday, June 11, 2012

Readying a Quilt for VQF

After discovering that "Music of the Night", the quilt I'm sending to the Vermont Quilt Festival, has to be there by this coming Saturday instead of June 24th, as I somehow had convinced myself, I got to work today.  The second sleeve (for the bottom of the quilt) had already been made, thanks heavens, so all I had to do was sew it on.  That went reasonably quickly, and as I was sewing, I decided I'd let VQF cover up my label since they're the ones who want it covered.  That saves me a little more time.

Now I'm adding more crystals to the sky.  D clearly isn't too sure about that, but I felt it needed more.  However, now that I've heard that doubt in his voice, I've started to second guess myself.  Do the added crystals assist the story?  Yes, they add more glamor and beauty to the magical sky, and the beauty of the night is key to the story.  Do the crystals have a design purpose?  Yes, by adding crystals of different sizes and colors they give added added interest to the ones already there.  The new smaller ones will also add a sense of depth by appearing father away.  Will the additional crystals be too much embellishment?  No, I understand this quilt is not a crazy quilt where there is no such thing as too much.  My intention is to be a smidge over the top, again in keeping with story and design, but not to detract from the human figures who are pretty much glamor-free.

Are you rationalizing, Noel?  Probably.

If any of you go to VQF, take a look at my quilt and let me know what you think.  Anyone who can take and send me a photo of the quilt hanging there, I'd love to see it as I won't be able to attend. 


1 comment: