Monday, June 4, 2012

The Story of the Loaner

Finally!  Everything is out of the two small refrigerators and into the loaner from the appliance store.  Since I had a few questions from readers today about the loaner, I'll explain.

                                     

Last Thursday we were in the final stages of preparing to leave for David's college reunion when the phone rang.  Since D was mowing the lawn, I answered the call from the appliance store.  After identifying himself, the salesperson said that he had some news about the delivery of our new refrigerator (due Monday - today).  Thinking that meant it would arrive sooner and going through the list of friends who might be bribed into helping out, I cheerfully asked when the delivery would be.

"Well, actually," the voice said, "it hasn't been made yet."

Confused, I responded, "What hasn't been made yet?"

"Your refrigerator."

"What do you mean, 'it hasn't been made yet'?"

He sighed and said, "There's been such a high volume of business, the manifacturer is behind in production.  The earliest we can get your refrigerator delivered is June 22nd."

"JUNE 22nd?????!!!!" I shrieked.

"Yes. We'll get a loaner to you on Monday, of course."

By this time, I was speechless and beyond being polite, so I did something I rarely do.  "Wait a minute," I said. "You're going to have to speak to my husband." 

Out I marched, phone in hand to where D was mowing neat rows.  Waving the phone at him, I got his attention.  He made an impatient gesture as though to say, "I can't take a call!  I'm mowing here!!!"   I waggled the phone again.  Exasperated he stalked over and took the handset.  I retreated.  Shortly afterward he slammed into the kitchen and hung the phone up.  Turning to me, he said, "The [unprintable] thing hasn't been [unprintable] made yet!  *#^xx!!*&##!! and *#^$xx!! again " and out he went.

I went back into the family to finish whatever I had been doing in there and therefor could see David as he marched over to the lawnmower and gave the starter cord a vicious yank.  Of course, it didn't start.  So, taking a deep breath, he reached down and gave it an even greater yank.  Naturally, not only did the lawnmower not start, but the cord also parted company with the mower and dangled limply in D's hand.

At that point I thought it judicious to hide. 

David was able to borrow a mower from a neighbor, finished the lawn, showered, and was soon ready to leave for our weekend trip.  We carefully avoided any mention of the above occurrences.

And that's the story behind the loaner which was delivered today.

                                      

1 comment:

  1. I love your art work. Hopefully the loaner will last until the new frig comes. What a real PIA !!

    ReplyDelete