Monday, June 11, 2012

A New (to us), Old (early 1900's) Find

Four or five years ago in late fall, Mardi Niles offered another of her several, highly successful paper-piecing classes; this one was to be the Mariner's Compass pattern which I've always loved.  Since I had taken my first paper-piecing class with her and had a successful experience that resulted in My Mother's Spools (see Monday, March 5, 2012 entry), I knew I had to take this one, too.

The Christmas season was coming quickly and the shop had lots of wonderful Christmas fabrics.  I chose reds and greens, all of which was shot with metallic gold, from which to make the Mariner's Compasses.  White was the background of choice for the reverse applique around the compasses and red velveteen was to be the sashing with black and gold squares for the cornerstones.  Since I couldn't find what I wanted for the setting of the M.C. blocks, I went to Jo Ann's (who knew? I certainly didn't!) for just the right taffeta tartan, and I was blissful when I found it.  Then I had my moment of absolute clarity and for the borders I chose a fabric with antique Christmas postcards on it that I had fallen in love with but originally didn't know what to do with it.  Does this all sound peculiar?  Trust me, it turned out just as I wanted it, and we've hung it every season since.

One other thing I decided to do.  As I looked at that postcard fabric, I thought to myself that maybe, just maybe, those were genuine vintage postcards.  The search began.  Eventually, I found all but one.  Deciding that that one might not be a representation of a real card, I decided to have the ones I had found framed.  I did ask the framer to add one duplicate card to "hold" the place for the postcard I hadn't been able to find (after he said he would make it possible to add to the collection).  I've tried off and on throughout the years to locate the missing card - all to no avail.  Friends and family have helped me search.  No luck.

Until this past week.  There it was - on eBay - and moderately priced!  My timing was right; at this time of year not many people are interested in Christmas collections.  I won the postcard for a very modest price, and it arrived just before our trip to the Rochester area last weekend.


As soon as I have the time, it will go to the framer and join the others. Then at Christmas the wall hanging and the postcards can be displayed together as I had intended. Now isn't that the sort of thing that makes you feel good?

1 comment:

  1. oh, my goodness!! That is absolutely fantastic! Congratulations on your find and now that you have a complete collection of the postcards - ahem, any plans on finishing the beads and stuff on the quilt?

    ReplyDelete