Sunday, October 7, 2012

Gilbertsville Quilt Show

Today D and I had to make another trip to his childhood home so he bribed me by promising a trip to the Gilbertsville Quilt Show.  Since I had been too ill to enjoy the recent Schenectady show, I allowed myself to be bribed.
 
We saw many fine quilts; D had his favorites and I had mine.  There were quilts I liked for what they were and there were those I liked for the ideas they shared with me.  Here is one that both D and I found fascinating:
 
 

 
The leaves were made using snippets of fabric which isn't a new idea, but I did think it was effectively done (good colors).  If you look at the second photo taken from the side, you can see the 3-d effect better.  What really fascinated me was the trunk; I'm not sure I understood the method from what Rosemary Jordan said, but one never has enough room to explain on these cards. 
 
 The featured quilter in this show was Wendy Swears.  The Tree of Life is a favorite pattern of mine, her piecing is very fine, the colors were ideal (and the red background is amusing), and I loved the way they hung the traditional miniatures (those are clothes pins on a mini-clothes line!).

 


 
Well, the fact that I loved this one is certainly no surprise to you because I love white (this was not hung well - the blue-green part of it is in front of a window, and the pink is picking up color from something else; this mini-quilt is traditional bleached white muslin).  What I liked is that this exercise wound up having some compositional merit.  So often one concentrates so hard on mastering the techniques that one doesn't have time to think about creating a pleasing finished work. 
 

 
There will be more photos and commentary to share with you as the week goes on.  Naturally, as soon as we drove away, I thought of several additional quilts I had wanted to capture but my view was blocked or D asked me to look at something so I forgot to go back.  Isn't that always the way?  We have records of many quilts (or flowers, or family, or - ) but lament the ones of which we didn't get a photograph!
 


1 comment:

  1. I love the tree, too! And I also do like the muslin piece! Happy there was some fun in the day!!

    ReplyDelete