Thursday, October 11, 2012

More Quilts from Gilbertsville

Today the entry will feature more quilts from the Gilbertsville show with some explanation of why they are included:

 

I love this pattern even though I will probably never make it.  It isn't because of all the triangles; it's because of all the tiny triangles!  There are so many quilts I want to make and many more I want to design and make, that I am beginning to realize some favorites will have to fall by the wayside (or seaside, in this case).  Do read cards for these quilts - some, like this one, are quite interesting.  Did you ever think you could earn a master's degree by making a series of stunning quilts?  Wish I could find Mary Krupp and shake her hand!  An MA that was quilt-worthy.  I love it.  And this is a great examples of why it's quite all right to use different focal and background fabrics!  See the depth in this quilt?
 


 
 
 This is why I love going to quilt shows; I get so many ideas.  Now I am not sure if this is an Alaskan-only pattern, but I thought it is a super way to journal/quilt a trip or an event.  One could use fabrics as this lady did, or your own photographs, or your own drawings or embroidery.  It's a memory quilt pure and simple and heaven knows many of us could use the memory boost!
 


With this one, you must read what Dorothy Caroll says about her quilt and her philosophy of saving vintage doilies in an "as is" condition.  While I don't agree with her on that point IF you have some good information about how to restore (stain removal especially) such finds, I love the idea of this quilt since I, too, collect vintage linens and needlework.  My particular favorite at the moment is bits and pieces of tatting.  Most of that comes in small pieces that I plan to use in crazy quilts, but some of it could use a larger showcase like this one.  And isn't her reason for using batiks terrific?  Another quilter whose hand I want to shake. 
 
I hope that by now you have noticed that not all of the quilts I chose to share were award winners even though some were quite fine examples.  Some of the quilts in these entries were made by people whose (gasp) points might be cut off, applique stitches might show, borders might sag, and so forth.  Early in my quilting career I might have been disdainful of such work and might have made mental notes about the errors (but I assure you I did not voice those thoughts out loud as some do - do they ever realize a new and proud quilter might be standing right behind them?), but fortunately, for the most part I have gotten over that.  Now I admire the quilters for the courage to "put it out there" for critique, for the determination to complete a project, for what I hope is their pride and pleasure, and finally, selfishly, for all the joy I get and all the wonderful ideas.
 
Now I'm off to watch the debate and you can be sure I'll voice my opinions - quite loudly, too!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment