Monday, October 29, 2012

Sandy

Poor coastal areas!  Watching the news tonight has been amazing; I can't comprehend the size or ferocity of this storm.  Yes, I look at the weather map and see the area affected by Sandy, but it doesn't sink in.  Fortunately. 
 
My east-coast-of-Florida brother and family are okay.  They didn't get the battering that Florida so frequently does.  Only some rain and wind this time, he said.  My northern-New-Jersey brother and two of his sons and their families may not be faring so well, and that is a worry.  Watching the weather reporters standing virtually in the surf leaning against the wind is beyond belief.
 
The devastation of New Orleans was unbelievable, but as far reaching as it was, it occurred in one locale.  And it was relatively far away.  This time it seems that most of the eastern seaboard and inland, our area,  is going to be wiped clean.  Earlier this afternoon,  our neighbor who vacations in Block Island spoke about low-lying areas of that island and wondered if they will be cut off from the main island or simply submerged.  That made me think about all the islands and low-lying seacoast areas from South Carolina on up and their fates.
 
Will the cartographers be drawing new maps?
 
What shape will recovery take for those who are losing so much?  How can we help?
 
And finally, when will our weather settle back down into its more predictable patterns?  Or are we beginning to chart a new "predictable"? 

1 comment:

  1. I'm wondering how my sister, near Phili, is doing today. As of last evening they were fine but getting hammered with rain.

    Fortunately, for us, Frankenstorm was a non storm and I thank the powers that be for doing that. Mom is safe here and I'm sure she'll want to go home today.

    ReplyDelete