Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Musings

It's been such a rainy, cool week so far that I already felt the need for some sunshine in my life. That made me think you might also need to feel some warmth on your shoulders - even if it's only imaginary. Here's a picture from Vermont taken while we were on one of my favorite walks. This view is not the most stunning of this lake, but I love the trees in the foreground, the small open field, then the lake, and the glorious sky.  Imagine standing in the field with the sun warming your back as you enjoy the view. Ahhhh -
 

Today I spent my time tidying and cutting fabric.  Here's the funny part.  Tonight as I left the family room to come upstairs and write my blog, I looked around and commented to D that he had done a great job of putting away some of the many boxes (ancient photos yet to be sorted from D's dad's home) and making things look nice, while all my so-called "tidying" merely made more of a mess (more bags of fabric/projects sorted into piles)!  I wonder how long this will take?
 
The following photograph was also taken in Vermont (in a different direction this time) when I saw these leaves.  Aren't they wonderful (even though they may make you think of fall)?  They've turned such a deep mahogany color it makes the veining look almost chartreuse.  Striking, aren't they!  No, I don't know what they are, but I know some day they'll turn up in something - maybe embroidery.  Imagine a leaf done in a double strand of wool floss in a long and short stitch with the veins in a thick, raised stitch sewn in a heavier shiny perle cotton with some shiny beads (possibly an occasional opalescent one for a dewy effect) threaded through it.  Hmmm, pretty idea, I think. 

 
Anyway, tomorrow I have surgery on my left eye to take care of that cataract so I'm not sure when I'll make my next entry. 
 
In the meantime, let your creative spirit take flight!  Take out your sketch pad and take notes of wild things you might do to leaves like the ones above.  Change colors?  Turn them into the wings of birds or fairies?  Make them the roofs of tiny houses in which toads and field mice live?  How would you stitch them, the houses?  the creatures?  What colors would you use? 

1 comment:

  1. Noel, how is that we stand side by side with our cameras, and when I see your photos, I marvel at the exquisite compositions you create? Yes, it was a beautiful time.

    ReplyDelete