Thursday, February 6, 2014

Today's Work on Raking the Hay 2

Can you tell what I did today?  Not hard, is it.  This is what my set up for painting usually looks like with one major exception - in this photo my practice sheet is to the left of my palette and that's where my painting would normally be.  The practice sheet would then be to the left of that.  I compressed the work area because I had already moved the painting when I decided to take this photo.

By the way, my palette reflects the last several months of painting, not just one day.  if I need a clean spot for a new color mixture, I take a damp towel and wipe away some color that's not being used in the current painting.  Since I usually do at least two passes at one subject and change colors only a little, this works for me.  Of course, the fact that I want to rearrange my palette and rearrange the paints and add new colors but am too penurious to wash the entire shooting match away, this is the way it will be for a while.


And this is what I did today.  If you look up at my work area photo, you will see how I adapted the foreground to suit my composition. Remember it is definitely incomplete, but what is your reaction?  Comments?  Critiques?  My ears are open . . .

2 comments:

  1. I love it. This way it definitely highlights the farmer! Great job and I can hardly wait until it's compete!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the lightness of this piece. It feels like you are really outside and the air is "big" all around. What a great day for that farmer.

    ReplyDelete