Sunday, January 14, 2018

Hill-Stead

Finally I am feeling better and may be back to a normal diet tomorrow.  What ever bit me gave me a mild case so I'm not going to complain about it.  However, I will say that I hope everyone stays healthy; illness of any kind is not enjoyable.

I made mention of Hill-Stead, a wonderful museum in Connecticut where D and I spent a wonderful time.  Unfortunately, no photography is allowed once inside the home so all I can show you are photos I took outside, starting with information just inside the entrance which can explain the museum better than I can:



Here are a few photos from near the house (it was too cold to wander around):


These photos were taken as we walked from the entrance building

to the house proper.  I love the tight view of the countryside around the site and then the focused shot of that view.





















On the left is the walk from the entrance building; that beautiful stone wall - one of many, many throughout the site.  The photo of the house doesn't do it justice.  Which leads me to tell you that the entire house with all it's furnishings was designed by a woman - a very extraordinary woman - Theodate Pope Riddle.  Possibly more about her at a future date.
 
The site is beautiful - even on a frigid day, but house is a jewel.  In fact, of all the houses of the wealthy and privileged we have toured, this is the only one in which I wouldn't mind living - for a while!  It was "... a bequest. . . . as a museum and memorial to her parents, stipulating that everything must be kept intact. The art collection can never be moved, sold, or loaned for exhibition elsewhere."  It is that last sentence on which you should focus because there are artworks by masters in this museum that a visitor (meaning me, of course) has never seen before!  We're talking about Degas, Monet, Manet, Cassatt, Whistler and other fabulous Impressionists.  We were agog at the works we saw.

Another unusual aspect is that the rooms and their furnishings (wallpaper, rugs, furniture, etc) were designed and custom made to complement the art instead of either the other way around or simply hanging a painting where ever it fit.

Obviously, we plan to return to visit this place in more clement weather!


1 comment: